Harbour View entered this encounter with a 2-goal advantage over Humble Lion, after the quarterfinal 1st leg a week prior ended 2-0. The Clarendon-based team had everything to play for if they were going to advance to the next round. Despite the big task at hand, Humble Lion FC showed they didn’t come to lay down and accept defeat just yet. 

Premier League Quarterfinal 2: Harbour View vs Humble Lion

Cristojaye Daley had been released a few minutes into the game by Jahshaun Anglin but could not get his shot pass the advancing Humble Lion goalkeeper Prince-Daniel Smith, who smothered it well. Moments later, Captain Ryan Wellington’s well-constructed pass down the left flank to Odorland Harding was then sent to Timar Lewis, who reversed the pass to Harding towards the touchline. Harding slid a perfect cross between the backline and goalkeeper Smith, into the path of the streaking Daley. He steered home at the back post from 5 yards. Harbour View FC 1- 0 Humble Lion FC after 10 minutes made it 3-0 on aggregate. Anglin smashed a torrid free kick that gave Smith much more than he bargained for, but he managed to divert it from the pigeon-hole. 

The Humble Lion custodian was busy blocking, from Timar Lewis’ 23-yard stinger to Garth Stewart’s charge which was spilled away. He, and the scrambling defenders, had no answer to Oshane Staple’s zinger across from the right. Daley, a diving Anglin, and Lewis tried to get a toe to it as it whipped across the face of goal and out of play. 

It seemed to be all Harbour View FC for the first half; the Live TV commentators suggested the game was all but over, but it certainly was not. Humble Lion’s Andre Clennon was the best in the box after 45 minutes after Dasha Satchwell’s accurate short corner found the towering attacker’s head to score in time added on. Harbour View FC seemingly lost concentration and gave the hungry Lions a sniff they wanted at the break, 1-1.


A Game of 2 Halves

The roaring Humble Lion FC had awoken from a slumber, while Harbour View FC looked like they were in a daze. Humble Lion Coach Andrew Price made 2 quick substitutions after 5 minutes; they both paid off handsomely. Almost immediately after, Roshane Sharpe turned his retreating defender inward and lashed a top-class strike that eluded bewildered Harbour View goalkeeper Anthony Bennett, to lodge in the far side of the goal; 2-1 after 57 minutes. Humble Lion was buoyed by the 2nd goal and was in total control of the game from thereon. Harbour View FC wandered aimlessly around the pitch in search of the  game rhythm they lost and could not find since the 2nd half resumed.

Equalizing goal number 3 on aggregate followed in minute 66 for Humble Lion FC. Their 3rd substitute, Javon Smith, struck with venom after outracing the right side of the Harbour View defensive unit to attract goalkeeper Bennett to come calling. Smith zipped his shot pass the custodian to score from a very acute angle on the left. Humble Lion was in full cry, now leading 3-1 on the day and tied 3-3 overall. The last 25 minutes was an entirely new ball game, with only the Lions playing as Harbour View FC seemed to watch in despair.

The Stars Realign

The defending champions eventually found their way after Coach Ludlow Bernard made 2 substitutions bringing on striker Colorado Murray, who returned from injury, and midfield playmaker Rojay Smith. They replaced the overtime workers of Garth Stewart and Cristojaye Daley, and found a new way to take back possession of the game; Humble Lion FC wilted to the tactical modifications. Jahshaun Anglin, Shamari Dyer, Rojay Smith and later Phillon Lawrence swung the pendulum back in favour of ‘The Stars of the East’ as the pressure mounted.

 First, a corner kick from the left by Anglin found the head of Murray who glanced it wide of the near post. Another corner kick, this time a Daley left-footer from the right, was headed home by Captain Ryan Wellington high into the far post to score in minute 77. Harbour View FC 2- 3 Humble Lion FC on the evening, as an aggregate lead returned to the Champions and stayed that way until the game ended.

With this win, Harbour View FC advances to the 2-leg semifinals starting next Monday night against Cavalier FC at Sabina Park!