Reported by Sports Analyst, Clyde Jureidini

For Harbour View FC’s opening game of the Lynk Cup, the technical team rotated the usual squad as expected. The likes of Shawn Daley, Garth Stewart, Kemar Mullings and Jay Jemison were handed starting roles in attack, with Cristojaye Daley on the flank. They were anchored by the experienced Shamari Dyer in midfield, a defensive unit of many-time captains Ajeanie Talbot and Odorland Harding, the emerging Gavin Burton, and Captain of the day Romaine Brackenridge. Custodian Romario Palma stood out in goal for his 2nd appearance of this season. Falmouth United FC’s Technical Director, Dr. Dean Weatherly, headed the team for this round of 16 encounter. A small crowd gathered at the Edward Seaga Sports Complex for the 3pm Lynk Cup game.

Lynk Cup Round of 16: Harbour View FC vs Falmouth United

The young squad showed promise early but were undone quite a few times in the first half. Each Harbour View FC frontman squandered golden opportunities to open their goal scoring accounts inside the penalty area; first, Garth Stewart danced around his opponents to eventually sky the ball from close range. Kemar Mullings had 2 looks at goal in the 1st half but never really got the shot off, and Shawn Daley soon after, but they were not discouraged by the early misses.


Second Half Action

The second half saw both teams injecting more energy in an effort to register the go-ahead goal of the game. Falmouth United began blasting long-range shots, mostly high or wide but whenever they shot on target goalkeeper Palma was equal to the task. However it was Harbour View FC who would break the stalemate just 3 minutes into the second half. Romaine Brackenridge tapped home at the far post from a deflected shot taken by Cristojaye Daley. He joyfully celebrated his first goal of the season, wearing a wide smile as he trotted back to defend.

As time ticked, both clubs engaged more of their substitutes, granting some of them added exposure and game time. Saqlain Waul, who entered the game as a substitute, added his name to the score sheet in minute 67 to also record his first goal this season. A look of dejection swept the Trelawny team as the task before them in this win-or-go-home game grew. Just 6 minutes later, a third goal came as Falmouth United’s central defender turned the ball into his own goal while attempting to toe-poke the ball away from Harbour View centre forward, Kemar Mullings. In the end, determination eventually won for Mullings to beat the goalkeeper to the far post with a neat finish in minute 87, making it 4-0. Falmouth United FC kept attacking in spurts, but it was Harbour View goalkeeper Romario Palma who shone brightest with a couple of notable saves from close range and one-on-one challenges to eventually be picked as the ‘Man Of The Match’.

Lynk Cup Results

With this victory, Harbour View FC advanced to the 2-way quarterfinal playoffs and Falmouth United was eliminated from the Lynk Cup. Harbour View will play against the eventual winner of Humble Lion FC vs Chapelton Maroons FC.

In other results from the day:

  • Portmore United defeated Arnett Gardens FC 3-2
  • Mount Pleasant FC defeated Vere United 1-0
  • Dunbeholden FC defeated Treasure Beach 4-1